- This event has passed.
Webinar with Matt Glover: How to Teach with Mentor Texts, Onsite or Online, So that Your Students Learn to Craft Their Writing in Beautiful Ways
September 30, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Studying mentor—or model—texts with your students is the most effective way of teaching the craft of writing to your students, in every grade K-12. The ways that students see more experienced writers craft their writing in these texts soon become the ways that students craft their own writing.
Join Carl Anderson and Matt Glover to learn how to study mentor texts with your students. During this webinar Carl and Matt will:
- Discuss the reasons why teaching with mentor texts is such a powerful teaching method;
- Explain the concept of “reading like a writer,” an important habit of mind to teach students to help them notice the ways that writers craft their writing;
- Talk about how to introduce mentor texts to your class during the immersion stage of a unit of study;
- Discuss how to identify multiple teaching points in a single mentor text;
- Explain how to teach with mentor texts in mini-lessons, small group lessons, and writing conferences, onsite or virtually;
- Discuss how to find great mentor texts to use in your teaching.
The webinar will take place using Zoom. When you register we will email you the Zoom link.